COVID-19 Update (last updated Thursday, January 07, 2021)
To our wonderful Civic patrons, we want to let you know that as a result of further province-wide restrictions, we will be closing our doors temporarily for movie screenings until midnight Friday, February 05, 2021. Once closer to this date, we'll reassess our situation based on BC's health and safety guidelines. Until then, we ask that everyone take care of themselves, take care of each other and practise patience during this time.
We're all in this together, and we'll be back on the big screen soon. 💛 Find out more about our COVID-19 safety protocols. Full details can be found on the Government of British Columbia website.
A safer entertainment experience at the Civic Theatre
The Civic Theatre is now re-open at maximum 50-person capacity. In order to provide a safer theatre experience, we will only be allowing patrons into the theatre through the box office entrance. As per government guidelines each movie screening will have a maximum of 50 people. With 300 seats this leaves ample room for social distancing. Our box office attendant will make sure that every customer who enters the theatre knows our safety rules and guidelines. To make sure every patron is aware of these precautions you will be asked to pause and read the posters at the entrance of the theatre each time you come to a movie.
For more information about the safety of movie theatres during this time, please take a look at the COVID-19 Safety Document that has been prepared by the National Association of Theatre Owners (NATO).
How It Works
- All patrons, regardless of online ticket purchase or box office purchase, will be asked to enter through the box office doors.
- While weather permits box office doors will remain open.
- Patrons will be asked to form an orderly line out the door and down the ramp of the building. Markers are available for your convenience.
- Patrons are encouraged to pre-purchase tickets online. This will help keep the flow of patrons into the theatre fast and efficient.
- Anyone purchasing items at the concession will be asked to line up on the markers in an orderly manner.
- Patrons are encouraged to use the debit/credit.
- Counters and machines will be regularly wiped clean.
- After handling cash all staff will be required to sanitize their hands.
- All staff will be wearing masks and gloves.
- The women’s bathroom will have a three-person limit and signs will be posted on the door
- The men’s’ restroom will have a two-person limit and signs will be posted on the door.
- Should the restrooms be at capacity patrons are asked to please return to their seat to avoid congestion in the lobby.
- We will monitor capacity to the best of our ability and inform patrons of capacity whenever possible.
- Each screening will be limited to a maximum 50-person capacity.
- Ushers will direct patrons to available seating.
- Only touch surfaces that you absolutely need to. Patrons are encouraged to only touch the seat they need to sit in.
- Seats will be thoroughly cleaned in between each screening.
All self serve items will be distributed by concession staff. Customers will not be permitted to use the pop fountain. All condiments will be available at the concession.
To avoid last-minute congestion in our lobby, we recommend that you come early to buy your tickets in-person at the box office. Doors open 30 minutes before the show, so come early to get your snacks and drinks and have plenty of time to secure your seats for the movie. Although our on-site box office will be open, we highly recommend pre-purchasing your ticket online.
Caring for each other by self-screening before entering the theatre
To help slow the spread of COVID and to keep our staff and patrons as safe as possible, we ask you to consider if any of the following applies to you, if so please do not come to the theatre.
- Fever, cough, sore throat or difficulty breathing
- Sick or feeling unwell
- Returned from abroad in the last 14-days
- Been asked to quarantine or self-isolate
- Knowingly interacted with someone who has COVID-19 or is awaiting test results
Other steps we're taking to ensure your safety
- Installed plexiglass barriers at our tills
- Require any staff showing symptoms of any illness to stay home.
- Hand sanitizer located in 4 locations in the theatre. We are providing hand sanitizer at the tills and gloves for staff, based on availability. We have posted signage throughout the store encouraging the use of hand sanitizer and overall responsible hygiene.
- We have introduced enhanced cleaning protocols throughout the theatre with particular focus on high traffic and high contact areas.
- Closely monitoring the situation and following public health and governmental recommendations regarding travel restrictions, self-quarantining, testing, and overall preventative measures.
Here's how you can help
- We encourage the use of masks in the theatre.
- If you feel sick, stay home until you feel better. If you’re coughing and sneezing frequently, please do not come to the theatre.
- Please only touch the seats you will be sitting in.
- Please do not touch surfaces if not necessary.
- Wash your hands frequently. Hand washing is more effective than sanitizer.
- Use the hand sanitizer at the entrance and throughout the theatre to reduce spreading germs to others.
- Cough or sneeze into a tissue or the bend of your arm, not your hand. Dispose of any tissues you have used as soon as possible in a lined wastebasket and wash your hands afterwards.
- Avoid touching your face whenever possible.
For our full safety plan, please click here. We can’t wait to welcome you back to the theatre and will continue to make changes as the situation evolves.