Our annual Home for the Holidays celebration will look a little different this year and happen completely online! We are thrilled to be able to bring this family-friendly winter event to the comfort of your own home for the first time ever! Please join us for our online variety show that will take place on Facebook Live. Make sure to like Nelson Civic Theatre's Facebook page to tune in on the day. This event will be live streamed, directly to your own homes!
Just like in previous years, we will be taking donations to help support Nelson Community Food Centre. Anyone wishing to drop off food at The Civic Theatre can do so between 12-5pm Mon-Fri until Friday, December 18, 2020. *No bulk food items, only sealed food accepted. Please make sure to check the expiry dates on products before donating.
A message from the Nelson Community Food Centre:
"The Nelson Community Food Centre is asking for donations that do not require a kitchen. We are aiming to reach precariously housed populations, so we ask that the items require no cooking. At this point in time, we also accept (and prefer) financial donations as they are more COVID-friendly, especially with our current extended health guidelines. Click here to donate easily online. Thank you for your understanding and support."
- Nuts and Trail Mix
- Dried Fruit
- Canned Fish, with a pull tab opener
- Apple sauce and Fruit Cups
- Protein Bars
- Juice Boxes and Gatorade
- Peanut Butter
- Toothbrushes and Toothpaste
- Ensure or meal replacement drinks
Your favourite cinephile, Jason Asbell (our legendary programming director), will be hosting the event, filled with the following special holiday segments:
- A holiday message from The Civic Theatre.
- A compilation of holiday messages from our amazing community! Find out more about how to submit your own message in the video below. Simply record your video and submit it via our Community Shoutout Form. Please read this form carefully as we've provided guidelines on how to film your message. The deadline for submitting a shoutout is 12PM Friday, December 18, 2020.
- Holiday-inspired videos made by some of our local Kootenay Filmmakers.
- Story Time with Avi Silberstein from Nelson Public Library.
- Special performance from Tinsel & Jingle.
- Prize draw, with gifts donated from some wonderful local vendors.
- SPECIAL APPEARANCE FROM BAKER ST SANTA!
- As we cannot gather to watch a free holiday movie together at the theatre this year, we will also be providing attendees a link to watch two classic Christmas films, online and for free immediately after our variety show. Watch Meet Me in St. Louis & Home Alone from the comfort of home between 6pm - 10pm on Sunday, December 20, 2020, courtesy of Criterion on Demand.