An intro to basic photographic principles, Super 8 camera operation, and working inside limitation challenges as a freeing creative exercise and an overview of the rules of the challenge:
1. The continuous 50’ roll of film will remain so from camera to projector, all editing will be done in camera.
2. Use of on-board camera function is the only effect manipulation you will have, ie) single frame, slow motion, intervalometer.
3. No sync sound. This is a return to the silent era of filmmaking.
4. Everyone has 24 hrs to shoot their roll of film
5. We will all hand process our film together in homemade Caffenol. DIY, immediate and keeps it intimate and prone to happenstance, further marks on the skin.
6. Although you will be able to look at the individual frames backlit with a magnifying glass in negative, you won’t be able to see your film until it has been delivered to me to be run through a super 8 projector and converted to digital. It remains a mystery until the public viewing.
7. A selected 3.5 piece of audio will be submitted as an emailed file or delivered on a thumb drive to be randomly matched with one of the films (not necessarily your own.) creating another happenstance interaction that can provide creative surprises outside of intention.
At a designated time, participants will pick-up their equipment to shoot their film over the next 24hr period.
Participants will mix up their own film developer from instant coffee, vitamin C powder and washing soda and learn by hand processing their own roll of film.
Once all the films are processed, the instructor will transfer all the films to digital and prepare a screening reel for an open to the public online group screening.
If you’re interested in extending this activity to your community, please contact email@example.com to discuss how to take part.